I hope I’m wrong

by - April 2, 2009 - Posted in On Jerry

Well, if Jerry Jones were going to replace himself as GM it would have been done by now. Now that we have hit April, it’s not a good time to be making such a change with draft day in just a few weeks and then things start to pick up a little heading into the summer. The focus needs to be on players instead of the front office. Besides that, there probably aren’t any good GM’s available this time of year. Most likely they have already been taken and are working at full speed now for their respective teams.

So now the elephant-in-the-room question comes forth to those of us sick of GM Jerry Jones. Do we want him to succeed as General Manager? Of course we want Jerry to succeed! I define his success by the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl this year. All of us die-hard Cowboys enthusiasts want to see it happen. I can’t speak for the other contributors for this website, but I will give credit where it is due to GM Jerry.

The only problem is that the Cowboys haven’t won a playoff game in 12 years and last won a Super Bowl when I was in 11th grade. I’m in my 30’s now!!! We can blame this drought on this or that or the other but the common denominator during this drought is GM Jerry. Players and coaches have come and gone since then and have taken a lot of blame but Jerry has been here through all of this and it hasn’t looked good in a long time.

Jerry has been on a personal quest since 1994 to prove to the world that he can win championships on his own. Whatever words he and Jimmy Johnson exchanged when the two were obviously drunk out of their heads and decided to part ways has irked Jerry so much that he won’t let it go. He wants Jimmy and the rest of his growing list of critics to eat our words and realize he is quite capable of running the entire show on his own and do well at it.

Well, for over a decade now, Jerry hasn’t been able to prove himself. Why should we think this coming football season will be any different? Realistically, I see a team with a lot of talent that could easily win the Super Bowl. I also see a dysfunctional organization from top to bottom. This team implodes every year and I am afraid it will happen again this year.

I sure hope I’m wrong. Please let me be wrong!

6 Responses to I hope I’m wrong

Mike

April 2nd, 2009 at 10:30 am

I think we all sincerely hope Jerry and the Boys do well this year. I personally want nothing more than for Jerry to prove me wrong. I'd love to shut down this site when GM Jerry puts together a winning formula. At a certain point though, I can't ignore history. Thinking Jerry is going to take this team to the promised land is like thinking the sun is going to stay out all night. We may want it to be daytime all the time, but history shows us that the sun sets every single day. Jerry has continually given us a bad on-field product, and there's no reason to expect anything different in 2009. I too hope I'm wrong.

April 2nd, 2009 at 11:50 am

Therein lies the problem. The issue with the Cowboys isn't the on-field product. The issue with the Cowboys is off the field. From the sideline to the front office, the organization is a giant mess. Jerry has proven that he knows how to assemble talent on the roster. Great, I'll bet most of us could assemble what would look like a talented roster. The issue is that Jerry still hasn't the slightest clue how to run a football team.

Imagine what a disaster the Army would be if a private could bypass all of his superior officers and go gripe directly to the President. The second the chain of command is broken, all hell breaks loose within the ranks. That's essentially what is going on at Valley Ranch. Wade Phillips has no authority, whatsoever (not that he'd know what to do with it even if he had it). So even if he wanted to discipline a player (again, I'd have my doubts there), Jerry is the final authority. So he has essentially destroyed the chain of command, which allows dissension like what we saw last season.

The last time the organization had some structure was during the Bill Parcells era. For all his faults, Parcells definitely established a culture of rules and discipline. But it took all of one season for Jerry to destroy what it took Parcells four to create. For shame, Jerry.

Alex

April 2nd, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Even if the Cowboys win the Super Bowl with GM Jerry at the helm, I am not willing to declare him a success. To me, a successful GM is one that is someone who creates a culture of success on and off the field. As Luis mentions above, anyone can assemble a talented roster (except Dan Snyder) that can compete based on that talent. The trick is creating an environment where the on the success can be repeated every season. That means assembling rosters filled with players who are willing to accept roles (e.g. no prima donas) with an understanding of team chemistry, discipline and a desire to win as a team. There are very few organizations around the NFL who fit that definition. The Steelers and the Patriots are two that come to mind.

One of the best ways to build an organization from the ground up is through the draft. There are few areas that GM Jerry struggles with more than drafting. IMHO, anyone who takes Quincy Carter in the second round has a serious problem evaluating talent. They had some good drafts when Parcells was around that was probably due to GM Jerry looking to Parcells and Ireland. I think lack of ability to find talent consistently in the draft is the biggest reason why GM Jerry has to go.

Mike