What would you pay for a Cowboys Super Bowl win?

by - March 24, 2009 - Posted in Offseason

What would you be willing to pay for a guaranteed Cowboys Super Bowl win, assuming you had to fund it yourself and couldn’t take up a collection? $1,000? $10,000? $100,000? (This is purely hypothetical, to any conspiracy theorists out there)

What about beyond money? Would you be willing to give up a pinkie toe? Literally an arm and a leg?

Let’s stretch the moral fabric a bit. Would you be willing to steal from your mom if she had insurance? What about if she didn’t? How about provide a trade secret from your company? Let’s assume there is zero risk of being caught. How far would you go?

There is another angle here as well. If you pay for something that is normally just a random act of good fortune (as a fan), is it still meaningful? If you know the outcome, will the games still have as much passion? Would you turn down the opportunity all together?

Pop quiz, hotshot, what would you do?

9 Responses to What would you pay for a Cowboys Super Bowl win?

Mike

March 24th, 2009 at 1:23 pm

this is tough… i think i'd give a knuckle's worth on a pinkie. that would work. regardless, i would have has much passion for the game even if i rigged the outcome. perhaps more. it would still be plenty meaningful. it's the same reason people buy all those championship videos after their team wins. you know how it's going to end, and watching the video makes it all that much sweeter.

Ryan

March 24th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

No body parts for me. I'd only consider giving up cash. For a Super Bowl win, I go up to $1000.

As for the knowing-the-outcome angle, I think I could handle the burden of knowing. I simply would hide the fact from fellow fans and simply be happy for the celebrating fans who don't know the full truth.

March 24th, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I'm going to offer an answer that may sound bizarre to some. I wouldn't pay a dime if it meant knowing the outcome. A great majority of being a fan is living and dying with every snap. It's holding your breath when the quarterback rears back and lets a deep pass fly. The agony of defeat is all worth it when you feel the thrill of victory. That moment of exuberance when the clock hits 0:00 and your team is on the winning end is something that cannot be duplicated.

Here's an example: During this year's Super Bowl, we happened to be watching the game on a 10-minute delay due to various reasons. With about 5:00 to go in the second quarter, my brother-in-law's brother looks down at his phone and says, “Something bad happens.” Sure enough, James Harrison intercepts Kurt Warner and returns the ball 99 yards for what turned out to be the play that essentially won the game. But as it was happening, I couldn't help but feel like I was cheated in knowing what was about to happen. I was still upset at the outcome of the play, but the excitement (or agony, as it were) of the moment was already gone.

I would hate to have the euphoria of a Cowboys Super Bowl victory taken away from me. I'd rather use that $1,000 to try to buy a ticket to the game and ride the wave that is being a fan of a team. Even if it means gambling with the heartbreak that would come with a loss.

Mike

March 24th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Yes, you could use that $1000 to buy a ticket to the game…but if Jerry's the GM you won't be seeing the Cowboys in it.

March 24th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Ah, but that's another question entirely, isn't it? You would be reluctantly willing to give up a portion of a small appendage to give the Cowboys a Super Bowl. But I'd bet the line of people willing to give whole limbs to remove Jerry from the GM position, would form to the left.

KDNet

March 24th, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I agree with you Luis. There are some things money can't buy, it just wouldn't be the same.

Carolyn

April 1st, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I'm a little late commenting on this, but I completely agree with Luis. Most of the the thrill in sports in the unknown. Your heart races as you wait to see whether or not the pass will be completed, or if the offensive line is going to make that all important block to give the quarterback those two extra seconds to get the pass off. If I already know the team will win or lose despite how well a certain play works, or doesn't work, it's no fun.

On any given game day, you can find hundreds of die hard fans, who had to miss the game for one reason or another, driving around with their radios off and avoiding any situation with the remote possibility of hearing the score of the game just so they can get to their Tivo and experience that precious feeling of the unknown.

Fans watch videos of championships to relive that feeling of excitement they experienced when they DIDN'T know the outcome, not just for the sake of watching a win.

No guarantees for me, please. I'll pay good money when the Boys get to the Super Bowl, but I'm not paying a cent to ensure that happens during a given season.

Carolyn