The Great Misconception?

by - March 27, 2009 - Posted in On Jerry

Carl Shelton at Blogging the Boys asks “who the hell are [we] as fans to poke fun at a billionaire with three Super Bowl rings?”

Jerry Jones wants to win so bad he can’t help himself. I’m no business expert, but I bet Jerry Jones didn’t build his billion dollar empire by sitting back and letting other people work. Jerry Jones is a go-getter, and go-getters don’t sit on their hands, they make moves. Jerry Jones, like many other successful people, got to where he is by rolling the dice. That’s the only way he knows how to play. Maybe Jerry does meddle a bit, but it is because he wants to win so bad that he feels he needs to be involved. By the way, he does own the team.

We have never taken issue with Jerry’s three Super Bowls. In fact, it’s the Jerry Jones from this era we long to have back–the Jerry that knew how to let others manage things. Unfortunately, the dedication and drive that earned those three rings also drove him and his ego to new meddling heights that’s left this team where it is.

Carl can claim it’s all one “great misconception”, but even he cannot deny that most glaring fact: zero playoff victories in twelve seasons.

Once our Cowboys earn that long overdue post-season win, perhaps then we can discuss clearing up misconceptions (WeLoveYouJerryJones.com).

Fair enough?

12 Responses to The Great Misconception?

March 27th, 2009 at 10:49 am

Jerry Jones didn't build his empire by running his accounting department, did he? He didn't make his millions by personally hand-picking the people that would be drilling his oil, did he? He didn't rise up to being one of the most powerful men in the world by also appointing himself HR Director, did he? No, no, no…a million times, no. He hired intelligent people to manage these tasks under the philosophy that Jerry desired for his organization. That's all we want him to do for the Cowboys.

Doing so would not signify Jerry “sitting on his hands”. People don't hire plumbers because they want to sit idly by and allow someone else to do their work for them. It's because most people know that if they were to mess around with the pipes under the sink, they'd only make a mess of things. So they pay someone to do it for them.

Which brings me to my final point. With the resources at Jerry's disposal – and the uncapped year in 2010 – the Cowboys would be an unstoppable force in 2010, provided that they are run by a real football mind. But with Jerry at the helm, the Cowboys would be an over-priced, over-hyped disaster. Much like they were in 2008. I think I'd rather see the former, wouldn't you? Yeah, let's hire a plumber before we flood the basement.

Ryan

March 27th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Don't get me wrong, Jerry sometimes is on the receiving end of a hasslin' he doesn't necessarily deserve, but I'm not on board with this “Great Misconception” idea.

I'm with Luis, Jerry's at his best when using his resource to bring in talented individuals to tackle specific problems… like plumbing.

Mike

March 27th, 2009 at 12:43 pm

“let's hire a plumber before we flood the basement”

i LOVE it. that should be our slogan.

March 27th, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Which brings me to my final point. With the resources at Jerry's disposal – and the uncapped year in 2010 – the Cowboys would be an unstoppable force in 2010, provided that they are run by a real football mind. But with Jerry at the helm, the Cowboys would be an over-priced, over-hyped disaster – much like they were in 2008.

Ryan

March 27th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Mike

March 27th, 2009 at 5:43 pm

“let's hire a plumber before we flood the basement”

i LOVE it. that should be our slogan.