Give Jerry a break

by - March 12, 2009 - Posted in On Jerry

Jennifer Engel asks Cowboys fans to join her and give Jerry a break.

I hereby pledge, for at least a month, to only write and say nice things about Jerry Jones.

Will you join me?

What do you think? Though such a pledge is completely contrary to our mission and our very reason for being, should we in fact go easy on Jerry for a little while considering he’s made such positive–and surprising–moves lately?

Here’s what we will do. Instead of an entire month (which would put us out of business), we have decided to be nice to Jerry for exactly 5 days (it is game-on Tuesday at noon).

So tell us, why do you like Jerry? Leave your thoughts below.

14 Responses to Give Jerry a break

Ryan

March 12th, 2009 at 10:55 am

I'll go first.

Jerry's quite a sharp dresser. Nothing complements those custom tailored suits like his Super Bowl rings (though he could stand to get a new one).

Mike

March 12th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

jerry smells nice (i imagine).

March 12th, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Jerry got rid of TO and Pacman.

That's about the nicest thing I can say right now, though. I'm still a little bitter that the Jay Ratliff jersey that I got as a late Christmas present will have to rot in the closet, unused, until September.

Ryan

March 12th, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I bet he smells like Sandalwood. The scent of choice for a man of age.

I know when I hit 55, I want to smell like Sandalwood, too.

Jeff

March 12th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Jerry is a man I want to like and try to like. When I almost get to the point that I like him, he does things or says things that……..well…….I guess I have to wait and tell you in five days.

Jeff

March 12th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

This is a little off the like-Jerry theme, but since we're taking a break from the Jerry GM bashing, I thought I would bring it up. Do you suppose that those who write blogs or post comments on this website and similar Jerry-bashing websites are on a watchdog list in the Cowboys front office? Suppose any of us wanted to get tickets to a Cowboys game, those $100 nose-bleed section tickets will cost us Jerry-bashers $200 instead? Or they may tell us that there are no tickets available for us even if a game is sold-out?
Do you think they would stoop that low? Just wondering. I told my wife she may have to call and get us tickets if we ever want to go to a game because my name may be on “The List.” That's fine if it is, just wondering if any of you have wondered about these things.

Ryan

March 12th, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Hopefully, not. As we've always maintained, we love Owner Jones and want him to succeed. This means we will support him by doing what we can to attend games at his new stadium. Our only beef is with GM Jerry.

Mike

March 12th, 2009 at 4:21 pm

i doubt jerry sees a difference between “owner jerry” and “gm jerry.” i bet we have to call the ticket office and give a fake name and speak into one of those voice modulators they use to interview mob members on tv.

March 12th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

There's no such thing as bad publicity. Jerry relishes this sort of thing, I'm sure. Anything that gets them talking about you, whether it's negative or not, gets you the attention you need (if you don't believe me, just ask the head people at the BCS).

Besides, why would he cut out the very people who make his engine go? It's the people with the passion and love for the Cowboys that take time out of their busy schedules to do more than read the paper. I imagine Jerry is a shrewd enough business man than to silence the voice of the voiceless.

One final point: Randy Galloway calls him an idiot on an almost daily basis. Yet Jerry still called his show the day that the Dan Reeves fiasco took place. If Jerry is guilty of anything, it's of being an attention whore. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But if I'm wrong, Mike's idea gets my vote.

TexasAggie91

March 13th, 2009 at 11:21 am

This will be easy! I like JJ because of the way he handled the releasing of the great Tom Landry with such class…oh wait…nevermind…forget that one. Oh, I know, it's because of how locked in Jimmy Johnson with a huge contract after he brought us back to back Super Bowls victories in the '90s! Oops…forget that one, as well. At least in '94 he hired one of the 500 hundred coaches that could win the Super Bowl with the team the Jimmy built…hmm…well what about…

The ONLY thing for which I will give JJ credit is that he is willing to invest in his players. I can only wish that he felt the same about the coaches.

Mike

March 13th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

uh… Jerry smells nice?

TexasAggie91

March 13th, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Mike

March 13th, 2009 at 8:48 pm

uh… Jerry smells nice?

Jerry’s Sonnet - Fire Jerry Jones!

March 16th, 2009 at 1:15 pm

[...] honor of our self-imposed five day truce with you, here is our latest peace offering.  Owner Jones, your ability to inspire passion will never be [...]