One step forward; two steps back

by - February 5, 2009 - Posted in Offseason

Jerry Jones the GM was headed in the right direction when it was announced that former Cowboy and Super Bowl coach Dan Reeves was joining the front office in a consultant’s role.

We here at FireGMJerry.com were elated, only to be sucker-punched once again by the news coming out 48 hours later that the pairing was not meant to be.

What could have possibly happened in so short a honeymoon period?

The following is what we imagine the interview between Jerry Jones and Dan Reeves went like:

JERRY JONES:  Dan, great to see you!  Thanks for coming in, you being here really gets the media off my back.  You look great – have you had some work done, because between you and me I could use a new guy.

DAN REEVES:  Not really what I wanted to talk about Jerry.  Thanks for setting me up with an office, but before we make this official, I wanted to talk a few things over.

JERRY:  Don’t you worry about a thing; I’ve got it all under control.  Do you want my secretary to hook you up with some Mavs tickets tonight?  I’ve got Cuban on speed dial.

DAN:  What I was wondering is what my role would be.  “Consultant” is pretty vague.

JERRY:  Well, the salary is north of seven figures.  You like the sound of that, don’t ya?

DAN:  Would I have any direct input on football operations?

JERRY:  Sure, you can pick out the promotions for the new stadium!  I’ve got my eye on a deal with Ford – first 1,000 fans get a mini F-150 for the kids.  Whaddaya think?  Maybe a Dan Reeves bobblehead – remind the public you’re on staff.

DAN:  I’m talking personnel decisions and locker room stuff.  I mean, I did take the Falcons to the Super Bowl in ’98, and that team had all sorts of crazy.

JERRY:  I know, I know, you’re TERRIFIC.  What do you think about switching the stadium concessions over to canola oil?  Won’t be as filling, fans’ll buy more corndogs.

DAN:  I’m going to go pack up my office

8 Responses to One step forward; two steps back

Jeff

February 5th, 2009 at 8:02 pm

More evidence that no one with a brain in his head will work for Jerry.

Ryan

February 5th, 2009 at 8:46 pm

http://query-origin.andohs.net/8000A6/content-r… (*.MP3)

“Not one time with any head coach in 23 years does anyone have an authority to hire a football player, fire a football player, draft a football player, hire a coach, an assistant coach. In 20 years, not one coach has ever had it. I've always had it. I want to make that clear.” – GM Jerry Jones

Dave

February 6th, 2009 at 10:45 am

An hours clause – a clause requiring how many hours Reeves would work – that's what the sticking point was. Jerry obviously doesn't trust anyone other than himself.

Ryan

February 6th, 2009 at 11:01 am

He's slowly losing touch with reality. With every day that passes, he retreats further into his Valley Ranch bunker ignoring the wisest and most sane of counsel. Not even his own son can get through.

CowboysNation.net

February 7th, 2009 at 6:25 pm

It is really was ridiculous for Jones to put something like that in a contract for Dan Reeves of all people. I wonder if Jones used that as an easy way to end the negotiations, or what, because to think that Reeves should be punching a clock is just insane.

Jeff

February 7th, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Jerry, do you actually read this. If not then you should. These are your die-hards who love the Dallas Cowboys so much that they have put up with you for 20 years now. But even we can go so far. You're not Jesus. Jerry, are you listening? Jerry. Hello Jerry! Get a grip Jerry. You're not all-wise and all-knowing. You can't walk on water and you certainly can't win a Super Bowl. Come on Jerry, let's get it together. Get some help Jerry. Jerry, will you listen. Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!!!!!!

CowboysNation.net